Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Goals

So it's the second day of a new year. 2010 was a pretty good year for me. I lost close to 50 pounds. I ran my first 5K race. I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding. At that wedding, I met an incredible guy with whom I am head over heels in love. I had to break up with the boyfriend I'd been dating for almost a year. And yes, that is chronologically accurate. I'm generally not one to hop from one relationship into another, but when it feels right, it feels right.

So, what's going to happen in 2011? For one thing, I'm planning on maintaining this newfound girlish figure. My first purchase of the new year was two pairs of running pants. I'd like to participate in a few more 5K races this year, once Minneapolis starts to thaw out. Because I don't have a gym membership, I don't get much of a chance to go running in the winter. I use the treadmills in the fitness centers of hotels I stay in, but I'm not consistent. I haven't been consistent about my workouts in months, which is a shame and is something new for me to work on.

The other big goal for 2011 is to FINALLY get my financial shit in order. I am terrible with money anymore. I think the biggest thing is going to be figuring out a budget. I need to sit down and figure out what my bare minimum income is and then write down all of my expenses and compare the two. I need to make cuts in my expenses and start being more aware of how much money I'm spending every time I go to Target. I have a few big purchases I'm planning to make in February, when I get my holiday bonus & my tax return, but the rest will probably go toward paying off a credit card. That's the other thing. I think I really need to take my credit cards out of my wallet so I am not tempted to use them to bridge the gap between paychecks. But yes, I need to figure out a budget and actually stick to it.

The third item on my list of goals for the new year is to write more. And I guess by write more, I mean update my damn blog more. My friends and loved ones have been on my case to do something with my writing. I have a degree in Journalism that I am clearly not using at the airline. But people do seem to enjoy my writing and I enjoy doing the writing.

I've been trying to figure out what direction I'd like to take with this blog. While it will obviously come up, I don't think I want to focus on my job. I think there is too much of that sort of "Oh these craaaazy passengers!" thing already and I don't want to do something that's already been done and done. I've thought about starting to take pictures of my outfits and going the style blog route. I do enjoy getting dressed & putting together ridiculous outfits to go to Target. Then there is the continuing healthiness journey I'm currently on. And this new quest to get my money shit together.

So for a while, I think this blog is going to be a bit schizo while I figure out what niche I want to fit into. In a way, this is appropriate considering that the title of this blog is "Up in the Air."

p.s. Speaking of putting together ridiculous outfits to go to Target, here is a really shitty webcam shot of the outfit I wore New Year's Eve day b/c I had no plans for New Year's Eve night. Those boots are a much more brilliant shade of emerald green in person. They were a ridiculous purchase and I never wear them b/c they are a shade too tight on my calf. One of these days, I will finally take them to the cobbler and have them stretched.



>

No comments:

Post a Comment