Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Cat's Meow

I keep unintentionally going waaaay too long between posts.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out in what direction I want to take this blog.  I haven't done an outfit post in about a million years.  I have a whole empty room in the new place, so if I picked up a tripod I could definitely set something up in there for taking photos.

I had a few months reprieve from wedding planning on account of the move, but now that we are settled, I've jumped back in with both feet.  And I might be starting to slightly freak out that it is only 4 & 1/2 months away.  Whoops.  Oh well.  At the end of the day, if the Mister & I are married then the day was a success.  The rest is just details.

I'm heading out to LA tomorrow for my first pre-wedding party.  The Mister's aunt & grandma are hosting a luncheon for me.  Momma & I are flying out and my cousin is flying up from Arizona to meet us.  I think we're going to have a super fun time!  I'm excited.

But the MOST exciting news is this guy:



Meet Mister Rory.  He's named after a character from Doctor Who and the Mister & I are just crazy about him.  I flew to Memphis on Sunday morning and my parents drove him to the airport and then I caught a flight back to DC.  He did really great in the car ride to the airport and was phenomenal going through security.  In fact, he was very well behaved for most of the flight except that it was pretty turbulent on our descent and he got a little airsick, poor guy.  I couldn't get to the car fast enough to let him out of his pukey carrier.  And while it may not have been the safest idea, I let him sit in my lap for the whole drive home.

So now he's been with us for a few days and I think he's made himself right at home.  And I have to say, I'm a wee bit jealous because I'm pretty sure the Mister is his favorite.


Rory paws at the door and CRIES if the Mister tries to take a shower in privacy.  He follows him all around the apartment and will sit and stare at the door for a long time after the Mister leaves for work in the morning.  When I'm home alone with him during the day he will deign to cuddle with me, but when the Mister is home, it's all about the boys.


He's a total cuddle bug, though, even when I'm all sweaty.  And he purrs, like, all the time.  And it is loud!  But I just like to think it is because he is super content with us.  I was worried that he would miss being at my mom's house or maybe wouldn't like us, but so far, those worries have all been shown to be completely unfounded.  He's made himself quite at home with us.

And speaking of being sweaty, I am FINALLY getting back into a more regular workout schedule.  I alternate between interval training on the treadmill and playing around with Your Shape Evolved on the Kinect, which reminds me a lot of the Wii Fit.  It's pretty fun though I wish there were a way to line up the exercises so they played one right after another.  The down time when I switch exercises or games is kind of a bummer, but otherwise I'm enjoying it.

Today is a treadmill day.  Do any of y'all do interval training?  The more reading I do on it, the more I like it. The idea is that high-intensity bursts over a short period of time are just as effective, if not more effective, than longer periods of steady-state intensity.  So I warm up for 5 minutes at 5mph and 0 incline and then I bump the incline up to 3 and I alternate between 30 seconds at 8mph and 1 minute of 5mph and I go for 20 minutes, then I do a 5 minute cool down.  If I wanted to be REALLY hard core, I'd try Tabata drills, where you do your absolute max speed for 20 seconds and rest for only 10 seconds.  Even thinking about that kind of makes me want to puke, so I haven't attempted it yet.  I get all red & gross & sweaty enough from my regular interval drills.




I'm down 6 pounds which puts me below my original goal weight from three years ago and my clothes are starting to fit better again.  I'm 4 pounds away from my "happy" weight, which is the weight I can easily maintain without too much effort on my part (but, you know, NOT eating French fries & ice cream every damn day) and the size for which I bought most of my clothes.  I'm another 5 of 10 pounds away from where I'd like to try to be.  I'm pretty sure my lowest weight, which was while I was training for the half marathon, was probably about 15 or so pounds lighter than where I am right now, but I'm not going to kill myself to get there.  I'm just trying to feel comfortable in my clothes again and regain a better handle on my eating habits.  No more mindless eating!

So that's what's new around here!  What's new with you?

p.s. We bought Rory a new toy the other day and sprinkled some catnip on it.  This was the result!

No comments:

Post a Comment