Tuesday, January 1, 2013

TGI2013

Seriously, y'all, I don't think I've ever been happier for a year to end.  2012 is going down as one of my least favorite years.  I don't want to dwell on all the cray-cray that went down, because there WERE some good things that happened, like getting engaged to the Mister and moving into the new apartment.  But 2012 is OVER and 2013 is here!

Wouldn't you know it, I couldn't even remember what my 2012 resolutions were.  So I went poking through the archives.  First of all, holy crap I was tiny last December!  Then again, in the months leading up to December I'd been training for a half-marathon and had been running 20-25 miles a week.  As for my 2012 resolutions, they were:

~ Grow hair out super long, get regular trims, donate a foot of hair in December 
     Yep, failed a bit on this one.  Besides growing it out, I didn't do any of the rest.  But in my defense, I'm waiting until AFTER the wedding to donate my hair.  I think I will roll this resolution over into 2013.

~  Be better about staying in touch with people, send out Christmas cards
     Hahahaha, yeah.  This did NOT happen. Maybe this year.

~  Keep track of the books I read
     I started out pretty good on this one, until you know, my apartment building burned down.  According to my account on Goodreads.com, I read at least 17 books.  Not too shabby.  I think I'd like to attempt this one again this year.

So there you have it.  I pretty much failed all my 2012 resolutions.  But remember a few months ago, how I said I wanted to be okay with failure?  I am okay with failing my 2012 resolutions.  The beautiful thing about a new year is that I get to wipe the slate and start out fresh.  So with that in mind, I am rolling these resolutions over into the new year and I'm going to try something else too.

I discovered a blog this year called Enjoy It and along with Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project, it's been really inspirational to me.  The woman who runs Enjoy It is very crafty and always has lots of projects going on.  And something I've discovered about myself is that I am happiest when I have Things to Do, when I have Goals to Accomplish.  But I am also lazy and unmotivated, which hinders my progress.  I am trying to change that aspect of myself, which brings me back to Enjoy It.  Something she does is pick one little word every year to describe her attitude for the coming year.  And I like that idea.  I like that idea so much that I am copying it.  And not only that, but I am copying her word from last year.  Not very original, but hey, imitation is the highest form of flattery, no?  Her word from 2012 was Choose.

It resonates with me because, deep inside, I know that my lack of motivation and laziness is a choice.  I have the time, the resources, the talent to accomplish the things I want in life.  But I often choose not to do them.  When I don't work out, that is a choice.  When I eat five candy bars in a day (not my proudest moment, but it has happened more than once), that is a choice.  When I dick around on the Internet instead of writing in my journal, that is a choice.  At the same time, when I close my laptop and pull out my knitting to work on a project, that is a choice.  When I sit down to read a book that interests me, that is a choice.  I want to feel more in control of the things I do.  I want to be more active in my own inner life.  Inaction is a choice and I don't want to choose that path anymore.  I want to make good choices, choices that enrich me and help me feel like a better, happier person.

So there you have it.  Along with my 30 Before 30 list & the rollovers from last year, in 2013 I want to make better choices.

And just for funsies, here's the first Drinking Coffee photo of 2013!


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment