Saturday, February 4, 2012

Work Rules!

So, a long, long time ago, the airline that hired me merged with another airline to form a bigger airline.  There was quite a kerfuffle and rather a big to-do about the whole thing.  And we are still trying to get everything sorted.  However, we are getting closer to the point where everything will be resolved and we'll all be flying together as one big dysfunctional family.  And I, personally, cannot wait.

Lots of good things will come of this.  For one thing, I will actually have a line.  Lemme explain.  So, I've mentioned before that I work on reserve.  This means I am on call for 18 days out of the month.  On those 18 days when I am on call, the company can call me up & send me anywhere!  With as little as 2 hours' notice!  Twice I've been on a 6-day trip that took me to Japan & Guam with only 2 hours' notice!  So hectic!  However, with the New Way of Doing Things, I will only have 6 days on call and the rest of my month, I will be tripholder and I will know a month at a time where I am going & when.  This will (hopefully) allow me to fly more hours in less days and there will be much less sitting-around-doing-nothing.  It might take some getting used to, seeing as I've essentially been a Lady of Leisure for the last 4 years!  But, flying more hours in less days means more days off means more time to visit the Mister!  And that makes everyone happy!

Another awesome thing is that I can try to bid for specific things for my trips.  For example, I can ask for layovers in certain cities (you know, like where the Mister lives!) or I can ask for no super-early report times or for no trips more than 4 days.  This doesn't necessarily mean I'll get any of that, but if it is able to, the system tries to honor my requests.  We did a mock-bid to get us all used to the new way of bidding and we got the results today.  I was rather pleased with how that turned out, but it was only a mock-bid and not everyone entered a bid.  So we'll see how the next mock-bid goes and the next one and then before you know it, we'll be going live with our bids and I'll have a line!

Today I attended a seminar about my new work rules and while there are some things that are less awesome than they were before, there are a LOT of things that are going to be more awesome!  And I am trying very hard to be positive about it.  Because really, there isn't anything I can do to change it right now, so I might as well accept it and embrace it and, in the very wise words of Tim Gunn, "make it work!"

I was very lucky to get a ride to the seminar this afternoon from one of my very favorite flight attendant friends.  It was lovely to be able to have someone to sit next to in class, though it turned out that I knew quite a lot of the ladies (and one of the gentlemen) who were there.  Getting a ride meant lots of things, including the fact that I could wear fun shoes without socks because I wouldn't have to be trudging through the sludge & salt on the sidewalks to get to & from the bus!  And I love a fun shoe!

Black Perry Ellis blazer - Thrifted; White tie-neck blouse - Old Navy; Brown snakeskin print pants - Gap; Turquoise wedges - Target 


I went back to the kitchen for today's outfit photos because the living room is a bit of a mess.  I've been reading the materials for the seminar off & on for the last week or so and I've got a few piles of print-outs going on, not to mention a stack of mail that needs to be shredded and a pile of magazines I need to read & recycle.  How am I ever going to find time to do all of those things once I actually have to EARN my pay?  Please note the sarcasm.

Also, I told some people in the comments that I would take a close up photo of the print of these pants the next time I wore them, because right now, they just look like brown pants.  I failed to do so before the lighting got so bad that it was just laughable.  Soon, my lovelies, soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment