Thursday, March 10, 2011

Who wears short shorts?

I have no new pictures for you today.  I had an outfit I would have loved to show you from last week, that I wore to training, but I never got around to taking a photo of it.  However, I'm sure you'll see it eventually, b/c I really liked the way it worked and I will likely wear it again.  I have a habit of making a habit of wearing the same things together over & over again.  I'm slooooowly working into the idea of re-mixing my wardrobe.

SHORTS

Instead, I want to talk about shorts.  Here's the deal.  I have gone pretty much every summer since I was a wee Skygirl without wearing shorts.  After puberty started, as my mother likes to put it, I bloomed.  And by that, I mean I started to get chubby.  And when you are a chubby girl, your thighs rub together when you walk.  I saw it referred to as "chub rub" the other day in Marie Claire and while the term made me cringe, it is entirely accurate.  And that brings me to my theory about wearing shorts.

I firmly believe one should not wear shorts that are any higher than where one's thighs stop touching when one walks.  Does that make sense?  Basically, I feel the hem should fall below the chub rub zone.  Because if it doesn't, then as one walks, and one's thighs touch, one's shorts start riding up into one's crotch.  And then one has to do that weird mid-walk leg shake to try to loosen it.  And I know I'm not the only one who does this because I witnessed a woman doing this in the airport last year and knew exactly what she was trying to accomplish.  P.S. It doesn't really work and it looks silly.

In the past, I relied on skirts & dresses in warmer months because while my thighs did rub together, it generally wasn't bad enough to cause chafing.  On particularly hot days, I'd apply a bit of deodorant to the inside of my thighs to keep them from sweating.  But this year, I am smaller than I've ever been (having dropped 50 pounds) so my thighs aren't touching when I walk, except at the very tip top.  And I'm not about to wear shorts THAT short.

So now begins the awful process of trial & error wherein I try on just about every pair of shorts I encounter until I find a pair that fits the way I want them to.  And yes, I will document it for you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on this theory. I don't wear shorts for this exact reason.

    I never thought about using deodorant on the inner thigh, though I have used makeup primer to prevent chafing.

    ReplyDelete