Friday, June 17, 2011

Road Trip!

Well, it looks like I’ve once again managed to fall off the face of the earth.  I have been getting dressed AND leaving the house quite a bit lately, I just haven’t been documenting it.  I’ve also been flying a lot for work, which I like to use an excuse not to blog.

But about a week or so ago, I flew into Nashville, TN to help my best friend N. drive the last two days of her mega road trip to move in with her husband.  They got married last September (it was where I met the mister!) but they’ve been living apart because her husband is also in the Navy and they weren’t sure if he would be stationed somewhere else.  But he’s staying in Norfolk, so she finally gets to live with her hubby! 

I really like060711d the outfit I wore on the flight down to Nashville.  I picked up the skirt on major sale at Old Navy for $6.  It’s so cute & breezy and I love the color.  The blazer is also a new purchase.  It’s a little more fitted & cropped than my Perry Ellis and it was a pretty good deal, down to $20 from $140 at Nordstrom Rack.  I wore my Guess platform sandals & my straw fedora with this outfit.  Basically, I wore both the entire trip.  I even wore the shoes out dancing and didn’t break my ankles!  I’m pretty sure it’s true love with those shoes.

 

Blazer –Nordstrom Rack; YES concert tee – Ebay; Blue cotton skirt – Old Navy

We stayed with our friend T. in Nashville and she took us to her monthly Successful Young Business-y Ladies dinner, which is called Taco Tuesdays.  Alas, there were no tacos, but there were a lot of really interesting ladies there.  I met a woman who owned her own alternative event planning company and a girl who helps manage Kings of Leon & Ke$ha and another girl who is the art director for the local Nashville free weekly.  After lots of socializing over dinner & a super yummy special punch, T., N., & I went out dancing, but the music wasn’t really all that great, so we headed home early.  It was just as well, seeing as how T. needed to get up to go to work and N. & I needed to hit the road!

The next day was spent in the car, so I was going for comfort, co060811mfort, comfort in the old stand-by of jeans & a tshirt.  I tried to dress it up a bit with the hat & sandals.  We drove from Nashville to Knoxville to have lunch with N.’s college roommate and then from Knoxville to Black Mountain, North Carolina where we stayed at the sweetest bed & breakfast!  If you ever find yourself in the Black Mountain area, you HAVE to stay at Bella Luna.  The rooms are lovely and the breakfast in the morning is to die for.  I’m talking fresh croissants, filled with cream cheese & strawberries, people.  To Die For.

 

On our last day060911 in the car, N. & I got all matchy matchy and both wore maxi dresses.  If you want to stay nice & cool on a hot day, there is really nothing like having a long swishy skirt!  This was the second opportunity I’ve had to wear my new maxi dress and I really love it.  I’m not a fan of the kind that has a stretched gathered top, so I love that this one has little straps.  I still have to wear a strapless bra with it, but at least it doesn’t squish the chub by my armpit!  Before we hit the road, we wandered around the main walking street in Black Mountain.  We happened to find Milton the Moose who was ever so happy to pose for pictures with us, all the while warning us of what to do in case of a Moose Attack, crazy!

In all, tt was a great roadtrip and I was super happy to get to spend so much one-on-one time with N.!  We didn’t even listen to music for the whole trip, we just talked and talked and talked.  Although on the second day, I did introduce N. to Mad Libs, which she wasn’t familiar with.  I found an app on her iPhone and we had a blast with that, to the point where we were laughing so hard N. was afraid she’d have to pull over to the side of the road to compose herself!  That’s another recommendation from me to you.  If you’re going to be in a long car ride, get you some Mad Libs.

2 comments:

  1. Norfolk, VA? That's like 1.5 hrs from where I live! If you're in the area again, you need to let me know!

    Love that blue skirt. I always avoid blues for some reason. Weird.
    Sounds like a really fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norfolk is where my boyfriend lives, so I'll be spending PLENTY of time there again once he is home from his deployment! We can def have a meetup!

    ReplyDelete