Monday, October 29, 2012

Drinking Coffee in a Hurricane

So yeah, there's this hurricane happening right now.  Luckily here in Norfolk we aren't expecting the get the brunt of the storm.  It's supposed to make landfall somewhere in New Jersey.  But we are getting the high winds & the rain.  Some are predicting we will lose power.  I've been watching the outages on the power company's website and so far it looks like just some of the coastal areas are being affected.  

I'm woefully unprepared for any kind of major disaster and it is totally my own fault.  I flew into Norfolk on Friday with a million errands on my mind before my race on Saturday.  And I had heard that there was going to be a hurricane, but I hadn't really paid attention to the severity.  Then I ran my race on Saturday and that was super fun.  I was a Crazy Cat Lady & I had a stuffed cat on a leash like I was taking it for a run the way people take their dogs for a run.  I'm not sure many people got the joke.

Note to self:  Clean your mirror!
I ran it with a friend and her dad and we all took it pretty easy and just enjoyed the race and all the costumes and didn't push ourselves very hard.  We finished in 1:03, which is a pretty solid 10 minute mile pace.  Afterwards there was Blue Moon beer and chili in bread bowls.  I came home and took as long of a shower as our water heater would allow (about 20 minutes) and then put on my new race shirt and some yoga pants and then kind of just collapsed on the sofa and didn't really get off of it until I ambled over to Five Guys for dinner.  I'd heard that there was some coastal flooding already and it was pretty windy, but it was hardly raining and it didn't seem that bad.  I probably should have gone out & picked up some supplies, but my body was just plum worn out from 5 days of flying.  When I went to bed Saturday night, I accidentally slept until 2pm on Sunday.  And by that point, the wind had really picked up and I kind of figured everything would be closed anyway and it probably wasn't a good idea to drive anywhere.  So I didn't.

I'm not completely unprepared though.  I have two flashlights and a few candles.  I have cheese, peanut butter and like 5 packets of tuna.  I have beer!  I filled up 8 of the Mister's growlers (he has twelve, but only 8 had lids) with water, plus there is a gallon of distilled water in the pantry and a few stray water bottles.  It's not totally ideal, but I won't die or be helpless should the power go out.

I've been keeping myself busy knitting.  I've been a little bummed because most of the things I've been working on are going to be gifts, so I don't want to post photos.  But I took a break from Christmas gifts to work on a gift for an Internet friend who just had a baby.  I put "knit a sweater" on my 30 Before 30 list and the idea was to knit myself a sweater.  To prepare for that, I decided to knit a baby sweater.  And since it isn't going to be a surprise, I'll show you the prototype.  I'm following this pattern and I think I did a pretty good job!


This is only the prototype because I don't have the kind of yarn I want to use.  I'll be ordering that when I get paid on Wednesday, along with a few supplies I'm missing (like double-pointed needles the same size as my regular needles so the sleeves don't come out looking all weird), but I wanted to practice so that when the yarn gets here, I will be good to go.  I'm not going to bother with the other sleeve for now because, well, this is just practice and I practiced the one sleeve already.  I'm pretty proud of this and I feel like this is a MUCH better example of my knitting prowess than my slippers.  

So that's what's going on around here.  I'll let y'all know (somehow) if I lose power or if it gets crazy.  For now, I have about a million chores to do around the apartment.  Probably better to do them while I still have power!

No comments:

Post a Comment