Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Drinking Coffee in Paradise

It's hard to tell from the photo, but that is indeed the ocean you can see behind me there.  I think I've decided recently that even though I grew up 100% Midwestern, I would very much like to be an ocean kind of girl.  There's just something about all that water and all that motion and the idea that there is this whole other world under the surface that awes me & soothes me.  They say our most ancient ancestors crawled out of the ocean.  Maybe that's why some of us do all we can to get back to it.  Luckily for me, I'm marrying a sailor and chances are, we will always live near an ocean.

Except for the next three years, but that's another thing all together.  The exciting news on that front is that we have a place!  And it is actually bigger than what we originally looked at and even bigger than what we later decided on!  We are not only going to have a guest room, but a den!  I don't know what we're going to do with both a guest room & a den, but I'm just super excited about knowing where we are going to live.  And we're going to have a balcony!  Balconies are pretty much my favorite things ever.  Any time I stay in a hotel with a balcony, I try to make sure to get some balcony time in.  Particularly if the balcony also has a view of the ocean.  Ah, the ocean.

In my last post, I forgot to mention how I won admiration from my in-laws my first night here while we were out to sushi for dinner.  My future mother-in-law & I ordered a Nigiri tasting plate that had something like 20 different bits of raw fish and roe.  Roe is a fancy word for fish eggs.  And there was this one roll that had salmon roe on it.  And I commented that the salmon roe was big and bulbous and reminded me of these things called flavor bubbles at the build-your-own frozen yogurt shop.  At the yogurt shop, these are little gel bubbles full of strawberry or mango juice and they pop when you bite into them, giving you a burst of yummy flavor.  So yes, the salmon roe looked like strawberry flavor bubbles.  And I was not so ignorant to think they might taste like strawberry flavor bubbles, but I was game to try them.  So I popped the whole thing right in my mouth.  And oh it was BAD  I realize there are people in this world who may think this is a delicious concept, but I am not one of them.  It was bad bad bad.  My future sister-in-law's friend ate only one or two of the roe before deciding they had a "fermented funk" that he was not interested in pursuing.  Probably especially not after seeing my face.  And if the salmon roe hadn't been enough of an adventure, I also decided to be the brave one to try the sea urchin roe.  This was also a terrible idea as it looked (and tasted) like someone else had already tried the sea urchin roe.  Yeah.  But what can I say?  I will try just about anything once and now I know that I don't like salmon roe OR sea urchin roe.  And my face was apparently HIGHLY entertaining.

The weather is perfect this morning for a run and a part of me reeeeeally wants to do it, but I'm not sure where I would run and I don't quite have enough time before our appointment for facial treatments.  Like I said before, I lead a very hard life.  But on a more real note, I am terribly grateful for the opportunity to come here and get to spend time with my in-laws.  I count myself lucky that I genuinely like and enjoy being around my future family.  Because I sure do love the Mister and I'm planning to stick around for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment