Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Belt it Out

So, you may have noticed that I did not dedicate a post to accessories.  I have a fair amount of jewelry and a lot of scarves and about 20 pairs of shoes.  The gaps in that part of my wardrobe show up in two places:  belts & bags.

Long gray cardigan, Jovovich-Hawk dress & gray OTK socks - Target; Wide white belt - Camden Market in London; Brown boots - MIA via 6pm.com

That belt, right there, is one of only two belts I currently own.  The other one is a tacky narrow red belt that belonged to my old uniform that I've kept strictly out of necessity to hold my jeans up.  The white belt has a really cool paisley embossed pattern on it and I bought it for 5 pounds in a stall at the Camden Market in London when I was studying abroad in Italy during the 2005-2006 school year.  I wore the hell out of it that year and have worked it into many an ensemble since, so it has real sentimental value.  But a lot of times, the width works against me.  

Another thing about it is that today I had to put another hole in it.  And there is an insane amount of leftover belt when I hook it.  I use the fold-over-and-tuck-behind method to keep it in check, but then there's this loop off to the side.  I really need to widen my selection of belts, but for whatever reason, I get really overwhelmed by that prospect.  I've half-heartedly browsed at thrift stores and today I flicked through a few at Target, but I don't even know where to start.  Black?  Brown?  Turquoise?  Silver buckle?  Gold buckle?  Narrow?  Wide?  Super skinny?  I get so flustered that I walk away empty-handed.  I'm silly like that sometimes.

Lately I've been trying to figure out what "my" style is, and what I'm attracted to.  I've mentioned Pinterest before, this is My Style board.  When I look at all the images I've pinned, I think my ideal style boils down to classic & ladylike with unexpected embellishments, sparkles and lots of color.  Interestingly, today's outfit doesn't necessarily fit into that mold, but I think that is what's fun about personal style!

No comments:

Post a Comment