Thursday, October 13, 2011

I want to talk about something only vaguely style-related on today's post.  It's something that has been on my mind lately.  I'll put my outfit photo first, so you can just skip over the second half of the post if you're not interested!

Floral scarf - Forever 21; Charcoal blazer - Halogen via Nordstrom Rack; Gray tshirt - Next Level via Amazon.com; Skinny jeans - Mossimo via Target; Brown boots - MIA via 6pm.com

This is what I wore to go up to Macy's to buy new foundation.  I've been putting it off, putting it off, putting it off because I'm trying to work on my spending.  I'm glad I waited!  It was Bonus Time at the Clinique counter!  I wear Clinique's Perfectly Real liquid foundation and the purchase price qualified for some freebies!  I got a cute little make-up bag (I think mine was missing the mini-bag, so I might walk back up to get that tomorrow), a little eyeshadow quad, a cleanser, a moisturizer and this lip color called a Chubby Stick which is a terrible name, but I'm pretty excited about it anyway.

Okay, so, the other thing I want to talk about.  I've mentioned before that I lost 50 pounds and that I've kept it off now for a year.  And I'm really proud of myself for that.  But lately, I've been getting complacent.  How I lost the weight in the first place was by obsessively keeping track of everything I ate.  And I mean everything.  And it worked really well for the first 6 months, but I couldn't see myself doing that for the rest of my life, so I stopped tracking, just to see what would happen.  And my weight loss slowed, but I did eventually hit my goal weight.

Now, though, I'm lazy.  I know it sounds ridiculous to say I'm lazy when I've been training for to run a half-marathon, but it's the truth.  Last week I did Level 1 of Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred for the first time in months and months and months.  And I was SORE.  For a WEEK.  Before I got lazy, in addition to running whenever I had the time, I was doing push-ups & crunches EVERY DAY.  I was up to 50 (girlie) push-ups and 100 crunches.  Every day.  No excuses.  Now?  Doing 25 push-ups and 3 minutes of ab exercises made me sore for a week.  It was kind of an eye-opener.

I've also become really bad about my eating habits.  I've developed a nasty sweet tooth, by which I mean I'd eat a big bowl of ice cream every night after dinner, and often I'd have a second bowl.  I'd mindlessly eat M&Ms and peanuts on the aircraft.  I think that's kind of the key here though, is all the mindless eating.  I've been eating things because they are there or because I am bored.  Not because I am hungry.

I'm unhappy with the state of things right now.  And you know what they say, If you're not happy with where you are, move; you're not a tree!  And I am not a tree.  So, starting today, I am going back to doing push-ups, crunches and arms every day, whether I do them as part of a Jillian workout or on my own.  I haven't decided if I'm going to start tracking again, but I am going to cut out dessert for a while.  I don't need to eat something sweet after dinner every night, even though I desperately want it.  Dessert needs to be a sometimes treat.

A reader kind of called me out on a comment I made about my "chubs" which is what I call the jiggly business that's been hanging around my tum & hips through this whole thing.  I am thrilled with how far I've come in this, and that I've managed to keep it off.  And maybe this is just the way my body wants to be.  But I'm not going to know that unless I try to do something about it.


Those of you who have followed me here from my LiveJournal may recognize the photo on the right.  I bought those pink shorts a year & a half ago because they were on sale at Old Navy and I thought I might be brave enough to wear them when I ran.  I wasn't.  I'm still not, actually.  But I did wear them today to work out with Jillian again and what a difference a year & a half makes.  If I look like I do in today's photo, on the right, for the rest of my life, I can be okay with that.  But I want to at least try to look better.  And I don't want to go back to looking the way I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment